Chiles Rellenos. I just had to veganized this delicious traditional Mexican plate. You are welcome.
- Firm Tofu
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast (or more I love this thing ! Makes everything taste cheesy and buttery)
- Salt that has minerals (pink or celtic)
- 1 medium or small onion ,chopped or sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp of chipotle powder (optional)
- turmeric for color ( & beautiful skin!)
- Daiya cheese (or your favorite melty vegan mozzarella or pepper jack cheese)
- 1 tbs chilli powder
- 1/2 cup of bell pepper chopped.
- Chiles of your choice (the ones that you are stuffing!)
- Cilantro (optional)
- Mexican Salsa (optional)
*To make it a bit easier , you can already by the roasted peppers at a mexican market, some farmer markets have them too.
- In a very hot pan toast your peppers, make sure you get every side . Yes they will have black on them that is the point. They are going to be roasted.
- After your roast your peppers , wash them peeling of the skin that is loose from the roasting.
- Slice on of the side in the middle, starting up to the bottom of it (as shown in the picture above) , take off the unwanted seeds. Set aside.
- Open up your tofu, rinse, and with a clean towel gently squeeze the excess water out of your block of tofu.
- In a medium heat pan, add a few tbs of coconut oil. When it’s hot, squeeze the block of tofu over it (not too high you don;t want the oil to splash on you) and break it apart with your wooden spoon or spatula. Yes so it will look like scrambled tofu or “eggs”. add the chopped onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Let them cook for a few minutes.
- Keep stirring it up make sure the tofu is getting cooked well. Then add your spices! and again cook for a couple of minutes.
- Lastly , add the cheese, as much as you want ! ( I know I know I am NOT making this sound healthy, but it’s chile rellenos !)
- Once it’s all cooked, You may not start stuffing your chiles!
- Top off with salsa, slices of avocado, even cilantro.
- ENJOY ❤ These go great next to beans and cooked spinach (of course got to have my greens 😉 )